If anyone asks me about what they should bake when they start baking, my answer would be banana bread. Many people I know in Vietnam would start with Tiramisu (so would I) because Tiramisu seems to be a symbol of baking (like when you think about Vietnamese food, you think about spring rolls), here in Vietnam when you think about cake many people think about tiramisu. However, banana bread is worth trying if you are just beginning at baking, because it is very hard to fail! I usually make banana bread when there are too many bananas in the kitchen, and they will be too old if you don´t use them immediately.
To make Banana bread you will need:
- 1. Dry ingredients:
- 230g flour
- 120g sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/4tsp baking soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 100g walnut (optional, I usually skip it, because walnut is quite expensive here)
- 2. Wet ingredients:
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 113g butter, melted and cooled
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- (one banana, sliced, if you want decorate the bread)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
How to do:
- Mix the dry ingredients separately.
- Mix the wet ingredients separately.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients until well combined.
- Put into a pan and bake for about 60mins at 180*C
Banana bread is also my parent´s favorite. It feels really good when you smell the banana and cinnamon in your kitchen on a winter day.